2018 Open Burning Season Begins, Permit Purchasing Procedures Have Changed
The East Longmeadow Fire Department will be issuing permits for open burning on Sunday, January 15th in accordance with Massachusetts State Regulation 310 CMR 7.07. Permits are available until Monday, May 1, 2018.
Purchase Permit with check or money order:
Permits may be purchased at the East Longmeadow Fire Department, 150 Somers Road, East Longmeadow, MA, Sundays – Saturday, 8 AM – 6 PM with check or money order for $5.00
Purchase Permit with cash:
If purchasing permit with cash purchaser must pay for permit at the Collector/Treasurers Office, East Longmeadow Town Hall, 60 Center Square, East Longmeadow, MA 01028 Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 4 PM. The Clerk’s Office will issue the purchaser a receipt that the purchaser will give to the fire department. The fire department will then issue a burning permit.
Requirements for Open-Air Burning Permits
- Burning period is from January 15 to May 1 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The fire must be completely out by 4 p.m.
- Burning must be at least 75 feet from a dwelling and must take place on the land closest to the source of the material to be burned.
- Must have an available water supply, shovels and rakes for controlling the fire. The fire must be extinguished immediately if requested by Fire Department. Accelerants like gasoline are not allowed to start the fire.
- The person authorized to conduct open burning under this permit shall be the landowner or the owner’s authorized agent and shall remain present to control the fire until it is completely extinguished.
- In case of heavy winds or otherwise dangerous conditions, this permit is invalid, as provided by law.
- Permit holder must call (413) 525-5475 each day between the hours of 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. to listen to the recording to hear if it’s safe to burn for that day.
- Additional open burning regulations are listed on each permit. For questions or additional information please call 525-5430.