Mission & Vision
The mission of the East Longmeadow Fire Department is to provide high quality fire suppression, pre-hospital medical services, and other emergency and non-emergency activities to the residents of the Town of East Longmeadow. We accomplish this mission through training, education, and dedication to the protection of our members and the community.
Our vision is to enhance and broaden the customer service and increase the quality of life of our residents by providing professional fire and rescue services, by meeting the needs of the community through responsive, innovative leadership.
2023 Open Burning Season
2023 Open Burning Season begins January 15, 2023
- The East Longmeadow Fire Department has gone to an online application for Open Burning Permits.
- Permits are issued “on the day” that you wish t0 burn based on weather conditions between the hours of 08:30 AM and 1:00 PM.
- There is no fee for an Open Burning Permits.
- For more information, regulations, and access the online application please go to:
- For open burning questions or help with your online application please call 413-486-9111
Rules for Open Burning:
- Permits are only issued “on the day” that you wish to burn based on weather conditions between the hours of 08:30 AM and 1:00 PM.
- Burning is only permitted from January 15 to May 1 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The fire must be completely out by 4 p.m.
- Burning must be at least 75 feet from a dwelling and must take place on the land closest to the source of the material to be burned.
- Must have an available water supply, shovels and rakes for controlling the fire. The fire must be extinguished immediately if requested by Fire Department.
- Accelerants like gasoline are not allowed to start the fire.
- The landowner or the owner’s authorized agent shall remain present to control the fire until it is completely extinguished.
- In case of heavy winds or otherwise dangerous conditions, this permit is invalid, as provided by law.