Mission & Vision
The mission of the East Longmeadow Fire Department is to protect lives, environment, and property by providing a fire safe community through preparedness, a coordinated public education program, inspection services, extensive firefighter training, and suppression and rescue services.
Our vision is to enhance and broaden the customer service and increase the quality of life of our residents by providing professional fire and rescue services, by meeting the needs of the community through responsive, innovative leadership.
Request for Public Records from the East Longmeadow Fire Department
2022 Open Burning Season
******Changes for 2022 Burning Season******
Open Burning begins on Saturday, January 15, 2022 and ends on Sunday, May 1, 2022.
Permits will not be issued at the Fire Department. Payment for burning must be brought to the Town Hall located at 60 Center Square at the entrance located across from Starbucks. No permit will be issued but a copy of the rules and regulations will be given. Please leave $5 cash/check in the envelope provided in the envelope bin. Please write your name, address and phone # on the envelope. The envelope can be dropped in the bins to the right of the envelope bin.
Please take a flier next to the envelope with the rules and regulations.
Payment can also be made in the Collector's Office
Rules for Open Burning:
• Burning period is from January 15 to May 1 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The fire must be completely out by 4 p.m.
• Burning must be at least 75 feet from a dwelling and must take place on the land closest to the source of the material to be burned.
• Must have an available water supply, shovels and rakes for controlling the fire. The fire must be extinguished immediately if requested by Fire Department.
• Accelerants like gasoline are not allowed to start the fire.
• The landowner or the owner’s authorized agent shall remain present to control the fire until it is completely extinguished.
• In case of heavy winds or otherwise dangerous conditions, this permit is invalid, as provided by law.
• Permit holder must call (413)525-5475 each day between the hours of 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. to listen to the recording to hear if it’s safe to burn for that day.