Open Burning begins on Friday, January 15, 2021 and ends on Saturday, May 1, 2021.
Due to COVID-19, Permits will no longer be issued at the Fire Department like years past. Payment for burning must be brought to the Town Hall located at 60 Center Square, the entrance located across from Starbucks. No permit will be issued. Please leave $5 cash/check in the envelope provided in the envelope bin. Please write your name, address and phone # on the envelope. The envelope can be dropped in the bins to the right of the envelope bin.
Please take a flier next to the envelope with the rules and regulations.
Rules for Open Burning:
• Burning period is from January 15 to May 1 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The fire must be completely out by 4 p.m.
• Burning must be at least 75 feet from a dwelling and must take place on the land closest to the source of the material to be burned.
• Must have an available water supply, shovels and rakes for controlling the fire. The fire must be extinguished immediately if requested by Fire Department.
• Accelerants like gasoline are not allowed to start the fire.
• The landowner or the owner’s authorized agent shall remain present to control the fire until it is completely extinguished.
• In case of heavy winds or otherwise dangerous conditions, this permit is invalid, as provided by law.
• Permit holder must call (413)525-5475 each day between the hours of 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. to listen to the recording to hear if it’s safe to burn for that day.
Important: Residents who purchased a 2020 permit may use it this year without any additional cost.